The 2015-2016 season saw the launch of TalentLAB, an initiative dedicated to theatre creation and dance run by the Théâtres de la Ville in collaboration with the Théâtre du Centaure. The 2017 edition saw the TalentLAB grow in size to include opera as well as theatre and dance. Moreover the TROIS C-L – Centre de Création Chorégraphique Luxembourgeois joined the project as partner for the dance section and the Young Opera Makers Programme run by the European network enoa, became a partner for the opera section.
Initially conceived with the aim of finding a formula to best guide and support emerging talent in Luxembourg, TalentLAB is first and foremost a laboratory: a platform for exchanging ideas, where dialogue, research and development are at the forefront. During the TalentLAB#18, the project leaders will be given the opportunity to exchange during ten days with all participants and to develop a scratch performance of their project under the generous expert guidance of experienced artists, recruited especially for this patronage among long- term international associates. Also, during the 10 days of the TalentLAB, workshops, platform talks and performances will allow participants and audience to discover artists, working methods and innovative productions – all this in a festival spirit of openness and exchange.
The TalentLAB#18 will take place from 24 May to the 3 June 2018 and will once again include the disciplines theatre, dance and opera. Ahead of the TalentLAB#18, a preparation week will take place from the 12 to 17 February 2018, during which a meeting between the organizers, the project leaders and their mentors will take place.
This project-call concerns all three disciplines and is aimed at emerging international artists in the field of live performance who are based in the region. The project leaders can come from different domains (actors, writers, artist collectives, directors, dramaturgs, contemporary choreographers, dancers, composers, musicians etc.). Emerging artists are defined as those artists who are at the start of their career or in the process of turning professional, having had numerous artistic experiences in the fields of theatre, dance or opera as well as established artists who would like to try a new artistic form of expression or discipline. Applications can be made by individual artists as well as artist collectives. Project leaders from a variety of backgrounds, training and aesthetics are welcome (for example in dance: classical, contemporary, hiphop, streetdance, etc.). The opera project call is organized in partnership with the Young Opera Makers programme of the European network enoa.
1. Project criteria
Projects eligible for TalentLAB must fulfil the following conditions:
- Project leaders and their collaborators must be available for the entire period of the TalentLAB#18 as well as the preparation week in February.
- The project must be an original work or a personal adaptation of existing texts (rewriting, devised piece, etc.).
- The project must be in the early stages of development, and the 2018 edition of TalentLAB must be its first residency.
- The project language must be Luxembourgish, French, German or English or without words.
- Project leaders are encouraged to ensure their project is relevant within the context of current economic, social and political events, and that it has a multidisciplinary and research element to it. These qualities will be considered an advantage by the jury.
2. Terms of the project-call
Applications must be submitted electronically before the 10 November 2017 to the following address: info(at)talentlab.lu, specifying the project leader’s name in the subject line of the e-mail.
Applications must be submitted in Luxembourgish, French, German or English, and must include:
- an artistic dossier with a description of the project, a motivation letter by the project leader, and a biography of the project leader and his participants. The dossier should not exceed two A4 pages;
- for the dance and opera sections: a videoclip or a recording (of a research piece or a previous work, etc.):
- a completed application form, which can be downloaded from the following websites: www.lestheatres.lu // www.theatrecentaure.lu // www.danse.lu
4. Selected projects
A panel of professionals will review all applications. Candidates will be informed of the selection outcome by 22 December 2017.
During the TalentLAB#18, the selected artists will have the opportunity to develop a scratch performance of their project with a maximum duration of 20 minutes. This presentation must be achievable with limited technical means and will represent the first stage of a research process rather than a finished product. The project leader may choose 3 additional participants and is free to personally select these participants from various professions and backgrounds (actors, dancers, composers, writers, musicians, dramaturgs, directors, video artists, costume designers, set designers, etc.) according to what he considers most useful to the project development.
To create their scratch performance, the artists will be accompanied and guided by experienced artists who will take on a mentor role.
5. Key dates
10 November 2017
Closing date for applications
22 December 2017
Announcement of selected projects
Week from 12 to 17 February 2018
Press conference to present the complete TalentLAB#18 programme
From 24 May to 3 June 2018